« Mémoires d’Alpinismes ».
In Saint-Christophe-en-Oisans, guiding runs from father to son, just like the Gaspard or Pierre families, the father being the first to reach the summit of the Meije on the 16th August 1887.
Here climbing memories are part of the local heritage.
It comes therefore as no surprise that the Mémoires d’Alpinismes museum has planted its standard in this little village perched high up in the valley of the Vénéon.
The journey begins with a model of the Ecrins Massif and follows the summits of the Meije, of the Ecrins, the Dibona etc.… all these are shown to you whilst boasting the merits of all the Vénéon Valley Guides not forgetting to pay hommages to the patient wives of guides, or refuge keepers and female guides.
Undoubtedly tomorrow’s guides.
From spring 2008 you will be able to see the new section on female mountaineers.
And from june to september 2010, a new exhibition for the tenth birtday of museeum :
"Mountain in painting".
Opening times :
- July and August: every day from 10am to 12pm and from 2 :30pm to 6 :30pm
- In June and September: every day from 10am to 12pm and from 2pm to 6pm
- For other school holiday periods (all zones) Half-term- Christmas - February - Easter: from 2pm to 7pm.
- Open on request – tel 00 33 (0)4 76 79 52 25 for groups of 10 or more..
Car parking near by.
- Adult (individual) : 3.00 €
- Senior citizens (over 70 yrs) : 3.00 €
- Groups (from 10 people) : 2.50 €
- Students (student ID necessary) : 3.00 €
- Children (under 10 yrs) : Free
- Unemployed (unemployment card required) : Free
- Handicapped : Free
No credit card payment.
Holiday cheques accepted.